Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Man Sought In Woman's Slaying

Man Sought In Woman's Slaying
Monday, September 14, 2009 7:10 AM
Updated: Monday, September 14, 2009 6:09 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Authorities continued to search Monday for a man charged with killing the mother of his two young children.
Christie M. Lyles, 21, was found stabbed to death Sunday inside her Lilley Avenue apartment on the Near East Side, 10TV's Glenn McEntyre reported.
Her two children were found inside the apartment with her body, police said.
A warrant filed accused Fred D. Brooks III, 20, with Lyles' slaying.
On Monday, police and SWAT teams searched a southeast side home after receiving a tip that Brooks was there, 10TV News reported.
He remained at-large Monday evening.
Homicide detectives were called to Lyles' east side apartment on Sunday morning after her mother came to check on the family.
"(The mother) didn't hear from (Lyles) last night," said Columbus police Detective Patricia Dailey.
Neighbors told McEntyre that they heard a commotion coming from Lyles' apartment and heard her and another man arguing.
"I heard them fighting, and then it would cool down for a minute," said D. Robinson, who lives nearby. "Then I (heard) them fighting again. Then, I (heard) him (say) some words, talking about he's going to kill her."
"I heard him say, (expletive), you're going to die tonight," said Pooh Jackson, a neighbor. "I just shook. I just froze up because I heard her screaming, 'I don't want to die.'"
No one called police because neighbors said they heard noisy fights at the apartment before, McEntyre reported.
"I heard a lot of fighting but I really didn't think (anything) of it," Robinson said. "They go through it all the time. He'll leave and blow off some steam and come back and they'll be cool. I never think it would go this far."
"I thought everything was alright until I heard her mom at 8 a.m. screaming and hollering, talking about (her) daughter's dead," Johnson said.
An autopsy was scheduled for Monday to determine Lyles' cause of death. Investigators said that they noticed signs of trauma.
The children were unharmed and were with family members, McEntyre reported.
Since 2007, Brooks has been charged with crimes ranging from petty theft and aggravated menacing to domestic violence and assault, 10TV's Patrick Bell reported.
Police said that they thought Brooks was driving a stolen blue 2001 Chevrolet Blazer with Ohio license plate No. FB1-3EL.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2009/09/14/story_lilley_slaying.html

This whole thing is so sad...
I knew Christie when she was a little girl. She was so cute and smart. My prayers go out to the Lyles family. May Christie find peace in Heaven. I know those girls are loved. I pity the scumbag who murdered this innocent soul because I know he will have to pay a high price for his actions.

No comments: