Thursday, March 29, 2007

Is San Francisco on crack?

Bags for the Bay
MARCH 28, 2007



SAN FRANCISCO - City leaders approved a ban on plastic grocery bags after weeks of lobbying on both sides from environmentalists and a supermarket trade group. San Francisco would be the first U.S. city to adopt such a rule if Mayor Gavin Newsom signs the ban as expected. Full article below.

As heard on the March 28th, 2007 program, the public service being provided by the Glenn Beck Program . . .

Glenn: You know what I’d like to do . . . hey Stu . . . I’d like to raise plastic bags for San Francisco. I think that they’re going to have a shortage of plastic bags. I would like to raise plastic bags for San Francisco and then send them to Gavin Newsom. We’ll ship them right to him. You send me your plastic bags and then I’ll ship them right to Gavin Newsom and the city of San Francisco. Here’s the great thing – because then they can use them – or they’ll have to dispose of them there in San Francisco, and that would make me happy.

Stu: This is good too, because you can send a lot of plastic bags – they’re not heavy. The weight is going to be low. This is a brilliant idea, and it helps the people of San Francisco.

Glenn: So here’s what I’d like to do. I would like to raise plastic bags for San Francisco. This is an aid project.

Glenn: America – the voices of people in San Francisco are crying out. They’re saying: ‘how can I walk into the house with 5, 6, 7, 8 bags under my arm . . . because I’ve tried to do that with paper and it always rips and my milk is all over the floor. I’m not using cloth. I refuse to use cloth’. Oh brother, stop the suffering in San Francisco – send them plastic bags. You’ve got them – send them. You’ve got hundreds of them, you can’t get rid of them, they just keep multiplying they’re like bunnies. Send your plastic bags. Do it now, and help the poor suffering souls in San Francisco, California . . .

Glenn: Gavin - all of our listeners feel the same way, and we’re getting rid of our grocery bags. You’ve made such a good point. I’m with you. And I’m giving up all of my plastic grocery bags, because we’re behind you. You’ve led by example. (I’m not changing my ways, I’m going to go get some more. But these are grocery bags I happen to have in my kitchen).

How can you help the people of San Francisco?

If you feel for the suffering of the people of San Francisco, and want to show your solidarity, please send your plastic grocery bags to us at the address below:

The Glenn Beck Program
Attn: Adam Clarke
1270 Avenue of the Americas
9th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10020
http://www.glennbeck.com/news/03282007-1.shtml


San Francisco Passes Plastic-Bag Ban
Mar 28 09:53 AM US/Eastern
By LISA LEFF

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - City leaders approved a ban on plastic grocery bags after weeks of lobbying on both sides from environmentalists and a supermarket trade group. San Francisco would be the first U.S. city to adopt such a rule if Mayor Gavin Newsom signs the ban as expected. The law, approved 10-1, requires large markets and drug stores to offer customers bags made of paper that can be recycled, plastic that breaks down easily enough to be made into compost, or reusable cloth.

San Francisco supervisors and supporters said that by banning the petroleum-based sacks, blamed for littering streets and choking marine life, the measure would go a long way toward helping the city earn its green stripes.

"Hopefully, other cities and states will follow suit," said Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi, who crafted the ban after trying to get a 15-cent per bag tax passed in 2005.

The 50 grocery stores that would be most affected by the law argued that the ban was not reasonable because plastic bags made of corn byproducts are a relatively new, expensive and untested product. Some said they might offer only paper bags at checkout.

"I think what grocers will do now that this has passed is, they will review all their options and decide what they think works best for them economically," said David Heylen, a spokesman for the California Grocers Association.
Newsom supported the measure. The switch is scheduled to take effect in six months for grocery stores and in one year for pharmacies.

Craig Noble, a spokesman for the Natural Resources Defense Council, said it would be disappointing if grocers rejected the biodegradable plastic bag option, since more trees would have to be cut down if paper bag use increases.
The new breed of bags "offers consumers a way out of a false choice, a way out of the paper or plastic dilemma," Noble said.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8O577300&show_article=1

No comments: